If you suffer from tooth decay and cavities, Dr. Patel offers dental fillings to restore the health and stability of your teeth. Dental fillings seal out decay after infection removal and cleaning of the area. In addition, certain types of fillings offer different benefits to patients. Durable, natural-looking, and stain-resistant materials now allow for a longer-lasting and natural-looking result. Visit Dr. Patel for all of your general dentistry needs.
Signs of Tooth Decay
There are multiple signs to look out for when tooth decay is present:
- Tooth sensitivity
- Staining on tooth enamel
- Pain when biting or chewing
- Pain when eating hot or cold foods
If you have noticed any of these symptoms, call 847.660.6603. You may need a root canal and dental filling to remove and seal out tooth decay.
Types of Fillings and Treatment
There are several types of dental fillings that offer different benefits to patients depending on their material and placement. Dr. Patel will recommend the most appropriate type of filling for your dental health and cosmetic needs.
Common types of dental fillings include:
- Amalgam Fillings: Amalgam fillings are the standard filling material and are also known as “silver” fillings. They are durable, easy to apply, and are a great economical treatment option for patients.
- Composite Resin Fillings: Also known as “white” fillings, composite resin fillings are color-matched to existing teeth for a natural-looking result. The composite resin material seals teeth and prevents future decay or infection for a long-lasting restoration.
- Gold Fillings: Gold fillings are a good option for larger back teeth as they can provide a strong biting surface and durability.
- Porcelain Fillings: Porcelain fillings reflect light for a natural-looking and stain-resistant result. This option is one of the most aesthetically pleasing for patients.
- Inlays and Onlays: Inlays and onlays are high-quality ceramic or porcelain and blend in with natural teeth. They may require two visits to complete and offer the most stable result for treating larger teeth with more than one cusp.
The dentist removes tooth decay and any compromised tooth structure prior to treatment with dental fillings. The chosen filling material will then be adhered to and sculpted to teeth after the tooth is prepared. A dental filling will last for many years with good oral hygiene and routine dental care.
Dental Filling FAQs
How many cavities can a dentist fill at once?
Dentists may fill as many cavities as the patient is comfortable with having filled. With this being said, in most cases, dentists do not recommend having more than 3 cavities filled in one sitting. Your mouth needs time to heal.
Do fillings make your teeth weaker?
Cavities make your teeth weaker. The materials dentists use for fillings are strong, but they are not as strong as natural teeth and enamel. Once a tooth has begun to decay it gets continually weaker. Fillings strengthen your teeth once a cavity has been filled.
How long do fillings last?
Fillings typically last between 10-12 years depending on placement, size, care, and material. Some may last longer, while others need replacement sooner. It all depends on the material you choose for your dental fillings.
Restore Your Smile Today
Call 847.660.6603 for comprehensive treatment at Best Dental Spa in Schaumburg, Illinois. You can also request an appointment with Dr. Dhara Patel online. We welcome new patients of all ages and provide tailored dental care for your specific needs and cosmetic goals.